Top 10 Boating Safety Tips
- Always wear a life jacket – make sure it’s the proper type! You should have a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket for every person on board. Click here for life jacket types.
- Don’t boat under the influence – of alcohol or drugs.
- Have a VHF radio – cell phones may not be enough. **
- Submit a float plan – even for the shortest / simplest of trips!
- Check the weather – know before you go.
- Get educated – take a boating safety course.
- Follow all navigational rules – be alert!
- Get a vessel safety check – USCG loves to give ‘em.
- Have a first aid kit & boating safety kit – be CPR certified!
- If you have a berth or “below-decks”, have a carbon monoxide alarm
** Register for a free Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number and have a VHF radio equipped with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) installed and connected to your GPS.