Top 10 Kayaking Safety Tips
Top 10 kayaking safety tips
- Life jacket – always wear the right type of life jacket. This can be determined by the type of boating and water conditions.
- File a plan – let someone know where you’re going and how long you’ll be out. Let them know what to do if you don’t return by a certain time.
- Don’t go alone – bring a buddy!
- No alcohol or drugs – never boat under the influence.
- Weather – know before you go
- Be seen – lights, reflective tape, reflectors
- Emergency kit – with vhf radio, cell phone too.
- Know the area where you’re paddling – be familiar with entry and exit points, potential hazards, and wildlife in the area.
- Know how to kayak – and self-rescue, practice this!
- Extra clothing – not just to wear for kayaking, but what will you change into should you get significantly wet or have to stay overnight. Warm and dry is best!